Wednesday, July 1, 2015

My Mantra



Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me!
For my soul trusts in You;
And in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge,
Until these calamities have passed by. . .
I will praise You, O Lord, among the peoples;
I will sing to You among the nations.
For Your mercy reaches unto the heavens,
And Your truth unto the clouds.
Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
Let Your glory be above all the earth.
(Psalm 57:1, 9-11)

Today I start my chemotherapy treatments. For me, that qualifies as one of those “calamities” that the psalmist speaks of in Psalms 57. I am hiding in the shadow of God’s wings, counting on Him as my refuge. After all, He’s done it before. . .

. . . When our son’s kidney ruptured and he spent 18 days in ICU
. . . When we fostered our daughter through seven long years of uncertainty
. . . When my husband resigned from his job with no other job lined up
. . . When my mother almost died from complications related to chemotherapy

My list could go on for quite a while. Over and over again God has seen ourfamily through troubles. As the psalm says, we can find refuge in the shadow of His wings for His mercy reaches to the heavens.

So, in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, until these calamities have passed by will be my mantra for the next few months as I find protection beneath God’s wings and wait for the storm of cancer treatment to pass by.

When have you seen God work through things that made you run to Him for refuge? It is in remembering these past acts of His mercy that our faith stretches to cover our present challenges.

Blessings!
Pam