Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Look Up!


The man at the side of the road stood with his head tilted back staring up at the steep rockface before him. I can’t tell you anything about what he was wearing, what color his car was, how old he was, or any other details. Why? I was too busy looking up, trying to see what HE found so fascinating.

In the few short seconds that he was in my view as we drove by, I didn’t find anything out of the ordinary on those rocks. But I was intrigued! I wanted to see what held his interest! There had to be something up there that captured his attention!

Is that what we are to do as Christians—get others to look up, to see God, to experience the wonder of knowing Him? Too often, though, we hesitate to share our faith because we think we won’t have the right words or that we won’t be able to answer the person’s questions. We worry too much about how to properly present the gospel or how stupid we might look trying to explain why we believe.

Witnessing is much like standing by the side of the road looking up. When I have watched others who are going through challenges and hear them say, “We are trusting God to see us through,” it takes my eyes off them and points me to God. When someone gives God all the credit and praise when they have overcome a hardship, they direct my attention away from them and turn it toward God. When I see a fellow Christian putting Scripture into action and doing for others because of all that God has done for them, I am reminded of Jesus’ instructions to “make your light shine, so others will see the good you do and will praise your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16) In all these instances, the focus is on God and it makes me want to know Him better and learn to trust Him like I see that others do.

Telling others about Jesus isn’t as hard as we think it is. Sometimes it is simply saying, “Look up!”

Be encouraged!

©2022 Pamela D. Williams